Donnerstag, 12. November 2009

A Tribute to Numb3rs - Part 2

What would Rosencrantz be without his Guildenstern? This is a two-part cupcake to honour both Colby Granger and David Sinclair, but each part is also awesome and tasty all by itself.

David Sinclair & Colby Granger - Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are dead Fedcakes cupcakes (*)



David's part is chocolate with a pinch of pepper. This ingredient is proudly presented by Swiss idioms, as in my mother tongue, people who are active and show extraordinary commitment are said to have "pepper in their butt", a term which I think, sums David up quite nicely.

Colby's part is based on Californian walnuts combined with light brown sugar. The nuts are proudly presented by Swiss idioms as well. The Swiss-German term that is literally translated into "stupid nut" refers to a person who is "empty-headed" in English. We all remember season 2 Colby - before we found out, that his stupidity was only an act to hide his spying. The nuts are a remembrance of things past and also a reminiscence of California, where Numb3rs takes place. Unfortunately my research for agricultural products of Winchester, Idaho did not result in any ingredients I would want to use - except huckleberrys, but these are impossible to find around here.

Both halves are kept together by oranges. And yes, there is a hidden meaning in those oranges as well (apart from being awesome in combination with walnuts and/or chocolate). Let's just say their date in eppesode 602 was neither lemon, nor lime, but it might have been orange.

I will give you the recipes for full batches of either flavour. I made half a batch of each and combined them to a marble cupcake. Partly because I liked the idea of portraying them both together, partly because I really love puns (as an English major I also like Shakespeare and Stoppard and literary references are always a nice thing to have) and most importantly because my flatmates and I cannot eat four trays of cupcakes in five days.

(*) I do not really feel like commenting on the buzz that is going on in the fandom right now, all I am going to say for the moment is, that I like being creative and I will go where my inspiration takes me. Baking is, for personal reasons I will not go into right now, the form in which I show support and love for people (or in this case fictional characters) I care about. A cupcake does not change the world; but if it can put a smile on someone's face, that is enough for me. If there is no room for creativity, irony and fun in the things we love, why should we care about them at all?

"It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously" - Oscar Wilde.

David Sinclair

dry ingredients

1 cup soy milk
1 tsp vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
1/2 to 3/4 cups sugar
1/3 canola or sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tblsp ground orange peel
1/4 tsp ground pepper

wet ingredients

1 cup flour (not the self raising kind)
6 tblsp cocoa powder (pure cocoa, no sugar added)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 pinch of salt

Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl, prepare the dry ingredients in another bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fill the cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes.

Colby Granger

wet ingredients

1/3 cup canola or sunflower oil
3/4 cup (light) brown sugar
1/4 cup soy joghurt
1/3 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
1 tblsp ground orange peel
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup orange juice

dry ingredients

1 cup plus 2 tblsp flour (not the self raising kind)
3 oz ground walnuts
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch of ground cardamom
pinch of ground coriander seeds
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of ground clove

Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl, prepare the dry ingredients in another bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fill the cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes.

decoration

I decided not to decorate these cupcakes in order to keep the colour differences in the picture visible. You could however use an icing made of icing sugar and orange juice or simply dust the cupcakes with icing sugar.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen